Maybe you’re up for some woodwork and are curious to know about table saw trunnion. Well, we get your curiosity.
So you want to know what is a table saw trunnion?
It is the point at which the arbor of a circular saw is attached. That is to the underside of the table in a table saw. The Trunnion adjusts the angles of the Blade and serves as the main adjustment point. That is for positioning the saw blade in the miter slot on top of the saw table.
But knowing only this much isn’t enough. Don’t worry though cause we’ve written a whole article about it.
Table Saw Trunnion- What is it?
To start off, the trunnion is one of the most important parts of a table saw. So, what is a trunnion? A trunnion is a particular kind of mechanism used to join a machine or tool to another item.
And, what is a table saw trunnion?
An integral component of a table saw is the trunnion. The blade may move up and down thanks to the axle-like mechanism. Despite its seeming complexity, you may quickly understand how it operates by doing a few straightforward tests.
The table saw’s base’s sides are where the trunnion is fastened. It enables the blade to be raised, lowered, and tilted. The metal piece that joins the saw’s table to the cabinet is known as a trunnion.
The saw blade and fence on a table saw trunnion typically ride on a ball bearing.
So, basically, It’s the main point of adjustment for positioning the saw blade. That is in relation to the miter slot on the table. And it’s also used to modify the blade’s angles.
Table Saw Trunnion Uses
Now that you know what a table saw trunnion is, let’s see what it’s used for. So, what is table saw trunnion used for?
As we already know, a power tool used to cut wood is a table saw. The blade in this instance can tilt while cutting. That’s because of the two trunnions that are linked to it. Semicircular raised portions on the blades ride in grooves.
The blade can’t tilt too far thanks to these regions. Loosen the bolts keeping the brackets in place. This way they can slide back and forth to solve this issue. This fixes the issue by moving the brackets.
When a table saw blade is flat, it can be properly aligned. However, when it is slanted, it cannot. The rod-tie rods shift as a result of the vibration and weight of the motor. Which in turn leads to their misalignment. The same thing happens if you lift the saw while using it.
On the base of the table saw, trunnion brackets are fastened. You can move the brackets that line up the blade with the miter slot by loosening them. Although it takes some time to modify the bracket position, this method is relatively simple to use.
You also need to know about the table saw blade itself. Like how long does a miter saw blade last?
How to Adjust Table Saw Trunnion?
Now let’s get into how we can adjust it to do our work. So, how to adjust the table saw trunnion? Here’s a complete guide given for you:
- The initial and most crucial concern with trunnion modification is safety. So, the drum drive circuit breakers and associated equipment should be tripped off and shut out. That is in accordance with OSHA requirements.
- Then, all trunnion guards should then be removed. Also, all adjustable plate mount bolts should be loosened. Check if all of the adjustment bolts are corrosion-free and capable of turning in appropriate threads.
- We advise that the drum be placed in the middle of the inlet and outlet ports. Because the trunnions govern the drum’s ride height. Simply slide the trunnions closer together to raise the drum in the discharge breaching.
- Then, slide them apart to lower them. Now, we must shift both trunnions in the same direction while keeping their spacing. That’s when the drum is off-center to one side or the other. Although, the vertical height should be proper.
- To get it properly positioned in both ports, perform this at both ends of the drum. After doing this, we are prepared to start the adjustment procedure.
- First, all four trunnions should be placed in a neutral position. This indicates that the trunnion shaft’s midline and the drum’s centerline are exactly parallel. Thus, as the drum rotates, the trunnions will have no bearing on the drum’s position.
- Now, adjust the four trunnions to properly position the drum between the flanges. Set all four of them set to neutral. The material will move from the inlet to the outflow when the drum rotates. That’s because drums are positioned on a slope.
- Here, gravity applies significant force to the bottom thrust mechanism. Release this pressure in order to lessen the pressure on the thrust stop. Achieve this by adding a specific amount of “skew” to the trunnions.
- Finally, when the drum is empty, adjust it so that it touches the bottom thrust stop.
Aside from your table saw trunnion adjustment, you might face problems with the blade.
Like your table saw blade isn’t spinning. So, be sure to check it out.
Table Saw Trunnion Maintenance
Without proper maintenance, you won’t be able to use your table saw for much longer. Over time, it catches the dirt and becomes rusty. But with proper maintenance, you can ensure a smooth trunnion.
So, how can I maintain my table saw trunnion?
Mainly, you have to properly clean and lubricate it. Here we have elaborated on that.
So, how can I clean my table saw trunnion? First of all, it’s necessary to partially dismantle it. Now spray down some liquid wrench. Here you can use WD40 as your cleaner.
Be sure to let it soak for at least 30 minutes. You can use Naptha to rinse. Keep repeating this process until that goop is completely gone.
Next, how can I lubricate my table saw trunnion? For lubrication, you can use three methods. These are wax, white lithium or graphite, and old-fashioned oil. Now, let’s discuss all three of them.
Using wax for lubrication is the most common. The reason is it doesn’t attract much dust. Well, sure it doesn’t. But one problem with it is it won’t keep your trunnion and gears lubricated for a long time.
Another thing you can use is white lithium or graphite. It’s easy to spray and so you can get into all the tight spots. But this also has the same problem as wax.
Finally, you can use old-fashioned oil. The benefit of using this is it will keep your gears slippery for much more time. So, you won’t have to go through the process quite often. Although it will attract a little more dust than usual.
Here we have some cleaner and lubricating products for you to check out:
How many types of table saws are there?
Mainly there are three types of table saws. They are Jobsite saws, contractor saws, and, cabinet table saws. The Jobsite saws are portable lightweight saws that are comparatively cheap.
While the contractor saws are larger and more expensive. Finally, the cabinet saws are extremely accurate and heavy.
How accurate does a table saw have to be?
The accuracy of a tape measure reading for the amount of cut is required. That is for the majority of table saws. When cutting many pieces for a segmented bowl, the saw should be tuned quite accurately. When all of the parts are put together, incorrect cuts just compound themselves.
How to keep wood straight on the table saw?
To ensure a straight cut, support the wood up against the fence using feather boards. Pull out using a feather board for clean, straight cuts. That’s when it’s difficult to hold a board perpendicular to the fence. Wooden fingers on feather boards are used to tightly clamp wood against the saw fence.
Now we want to hear from you.
Were we able to solve all your queries related to what is a table saw trunnion?
Here’s a tip for you. To keep the drum off thrust stops, don’t skew the trunnions farther than absolutely necessary.
If there’s anything else on your mind, be sure to comment down below.
- 2×6 or 2×8 Sill Plate (Which One is Better for Foundation) - September 3, 2023
- Sill Plate vs Bottom Plate (What’s the Difference) - August 31, 2023
- Craftsman Chainsaw Carburetor Diagram (2023) - June 12, 2023